|History:||Issued||-- Nov. 15, 2007|
|Revised||-- July 19, 2011|
|Related Policies:||Weddings at CUA|
|Additional References:||Guidelines for Appropriate Use of CUA Chapels|
|Responsible Official:||University Chaplain tel. (202) 319-5575|
I. Caldwell Chapel (dedicated in 1888 as St. Paul's Chapel) is located in Caldwell Hall, mezzanine level, and is the original chapel of The Catholic University of America. The chapel seats 70 to 80 adults comfortably. It is not air-conditioned. An electric piano is located in the choir loft. The Odell pipe organ (New York, 1889) is the original, and is in need of renovation and repair. Persons wishing to use this instrument must speak with the Associate Campus Minister for Liturgy and Worship. Because of the chapel's location, we regret to say that it is not accessible to persons with mobility impairments. In addition, there is no dressing area for a bridal party. The chapel is equipped with Gather Comprehensive hymnals and the accompaniment books (keyboard and guitar).
II. St. Vincent de Paul Chapel is located on John McCormack Road, between Millennium North and Millennium South. Built in 1949, renovated and re-dedicated in 1992, the chapel seats 175 to 200 adults, with use of the balcony. It is not air-conditioned. The chapel is equipped with a baby grand piano and a Schudi pipe organ (1987). Those persons wishing to use the pipe organ must speak with the Associate Campus Minister for Liturgy and Worship. Restrooms are located to the left and right of the main entrance. The chapel is accessible to persons with disabilities. There is no dressing area for a bridal party. The chapel is equipped with Gather Comprehensive II hymnals and the accompaniment books (keyboard and guitar).
III. Persons and/or groups eligible to use the Chapels
All requests for use of either chapel are subject to approval by Campus Ministry.
- CUA students, faculty, staff and their organizations
- Non-CUA Roman Catholic groups in good standing with the Archdiocese of Washington. Permission of the Associate Campus Minister for Liturgy and Worship is required for use of such groups.
- It is university policy that the university chapels are reserved for Catholic worship.
NOTE: Use of the chapels for weddings is restricted to students, faculty, staff, and alumni within 1 year of graduation per Archdiocesan sacramental regulations. Weddings are governed by the Regulations of the Archdiocese of Washington and also by the Weddings at CUA Policy.
- No charge for official CUA liturgies; student groups registered with University Center, Student Programs and Events; faculty and staff organizations and associations.
- $100 required chapel fee; $25 required sacristan fee (check made out directly to the student sacristan) for all other authorized users, except weddings.
- $25 required sacristan fee (check made out directly to the student sacristan) for student recitals.
- If you wish to have the piano tuned immediately prior to chapel use, it is your responsibility to cover the cost. The cost is $100 which will be paid directly to the piano tuner (cost subject to change). The Associate Campus Minister for Liturgy and Worship will arrange piano tuning at your request. At least one week advanced notice is required.
- All chapel fees must be paid at least one week before the scheduled event.
- Weddings are governed under the university Wedding Policy.
- Cancellation of the chapel reservation must be made 48 hours in advance in order not to be responsible for the chapel use fee.
updated and links checked 1/6/11 KVP