The Catholic University of America

Archived 12/16/05



I. Introduction

The University offeres employees and qualified dependents a variety of valuabe and affordable benefits. This section is a brief description of the benefits available to regular employees of The Catholic University of America. For complete information on benefits, contact the Office of Human Resources.
II. Group Health and Dental Plans
The Catholic University of America offers a choice of managed care health plans (with limited dental coverage) and a freestanding dental insurance plan to regular full-time and regular part-time employees and qualified dependents. Participation is optional and the cost of the premiums for the health insurance is shared by the employee and the University. The University does not contribute to the premiums for the freestanding dental plan or to the health plan premiums for the employees on unpaid leave of absence except as required by the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Employees who wish to enroll in one of the health insurance plans must do so within the first thirty days of employment. Employees who do not enroll during the first thirty days of employment will not be able to enroll until the next open enrollment period unless extenuating circumstances exist. Employees may enroll in the freestanding dental plan at any time. For specific information, contact the Office of Human Resources.
Post-Termination Health Care Continuation - COBRA
Under Title X of the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA), the University offers continuation of health and/or dental insurance under certain circumstances. A regular employee is eligible for continuation of health care coverage if coverage was lost because of a reduction of hours or termination for reasons other than gross misconduct. Spouses and dependent children of employees or former employees may have the right to continue coverage in certain circumstances and within the limits required by COBRA.
In the event of death of a retiree whose spouse or dependents are enrolled in a CUA health plan, the surviving spouse and dependents of the retiree will be entitled to continuation of health coverage under COBRA. The University does not contribute to the cost of the coverage.
Persons electing to continue health care coverage under COBRA will be responsible for the full cost of the premium plus a 2 percent administrative fee. Premium rates and payment information are available from the Office of Human Resources.
Retiree Health Insurance
CUA retirees, as defined in the Retirement Policy, Section I, may continue their health care coverage after retirement (contingent upon the terms of the University's contracts with its insurance companies) at the full retiree group rate with no contribution from the University. Payment information is available from the Office of Human Resources.

III. Group Life Insurance
At no cost to employees, the University provides regular full-time and part-time employees with term life insurance. The amount of the insurance is equal to the employee's annual salary rounded to the nest higher multiple of $1000. It increases automatically as the employee's salary increases, up to a maximum of $50,000. Employees who enroll within the first 90 days of employment are not required to have a physical examination to obtain coverage.
Retirees (as defined in CUA's Retirement Policy, Section I) are covered by life insurance in the amount of $5,500. This amount decreases as the retiree's age increases. Contact the Office of Human Resources or the Life Insurance brochure previously distributed for details on the amount of coverage for each age group.

IV. Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
An Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all benefits eligible employees, their spouses and their dependents. A broad range of confidential assistance is available at no cost to employees and their families. The University pays the full cost of the EAP.

Employees and their dependents have access 24 hours a day, seven days a week to counselors trained to provide support in dealing with personal, family or work-related issues.

Additional information on the EAP is available through the Office of Human Resources.
V. Long Term Disability
Every regular full-time and regular part-time employee who works thirty (30) hours or more per week is covered by the Long Term Disability Income Plan beginning on the first day of the month following one year of employment with the University. The University pays the full premium.

An employee who is absent for 90 consecutive calendar days because he/she is unable to work for medical reasons may be eligible for long term disability payments. If an employee believes that he/she may be eligible for long term disability income, the employee need not wait until the end of the 90-day waiting period to file an application. All sick leave and annual leave must be exhausted before long term disability payments can begin. The insurance carrier underwriting the University's plan determines an employee's eligibility for long term disability payments based on the terms and limits of the plan, and is responsible for payments made under the plan.

Any employee who wishes to apply for long term disability income should contact the Office of Human Resources.
VI. Flexible Spending Accounts
The University offers employees the opportunity to enroll in either or both of two Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA). Employees who enroll in a FSA can use pre-tax dollars to pay for certain unreimbursed medical expenses and/or dependent care expenses up to $3600 per year.
Use of the FSA will reduce an employee's taxable income. Employees designate, at the time of enrollment, the amount that will be withheld from each paycheck and forwarded to the employees' accounts. After incurring a covered expense, the employee submits receipts to the company administering the University's FSA benefit and is reimbursed. The amount designated by the employee at the time of enrollment cannot be stopped or changed during the plan year, except in the case of a family change. A family change is considered to be marriage, divorce, death or an immediate family member whose expenses were being paid by the FSA, birth or adoption of a child, or loss of a spouse's employment.
Employees are advised to calculate the amount to be deposited each pay period very carefully. If the amount deposited in the FSA exceeds the actual covered expenses, the unused money is forfeited by the employee. In addition, money deposited for dependent care expenses cannot be used for unreimbursed medical expenses and vice versa.
Additional information on the Flexible Spending Account Program is available in the Office of Human Resources.