The Catholic University of America

Archived 8/1/08

I. Introduction
Reports of grades in courses are made available on the Web by the registrar at the end of each term;

II. Grading System

























Lowest Passing





I 1





Administrative Failure

1 Reverts to an F if not removed by mid-semester of succeeding term, whether or not student continues in residence.

III. Pass/Fail

Free electives may be reported on a pass/fail basis upon written application to the academic dean, prior to the announced date. Once approved, this status cannot be changed back. Neither such grade will affect the student's cumulative average but a fail will earn no degree credit. The pass/fail option is not available to students in the schools of engineering and architecture and planning.

IV. Grade Point Average

1. The quality points for a course are computed by multiplying the points for the grade equivalent by the number of credits for that course. To compute the grade point average, divide the total number of quality points earned by the total number of credits attempted (pass/fail credits not included). The grade point average is computed only for courses registered through The Catholic University of America.

2. When a course with a grade of D or F is repeated, the following rules shall apply:

a. The course must be identical in listing and cannot be taken at another institution;

b. The second time the course cannot be taken for pass/fail;

c. Both courses and grades will be recorded in the student's file and transcript;

d. For calculation of the grade point average and for fulfillment of
curriculum requirements, the credit and the grade of the repeated course will apply
and the credit and grade of the original course will no longer count.

V. Dean's List
A dean's list is published for each semester to recognize those students who in a degree program have achieved at least a 3.5 grade point average in a full-time course load for that semester. Individual schools may set additional criteria for their dean's list.

VI. Good Standing
1. A student is in good standing who (1) has not become subject to dismissal for academic reasons, (2) has a satisfactory record of deportment, and (3) has met all financial obligations to the university or made satisfactory arrangements for their discharge with the Office of Student Accounts.

2. In order to ascertain whether an undergraduate student's academic advancement in those qualities of scholarship considered necessary for a liberal education is satisfactory, the student's records may be reviewed periodically by appropriate university officials in accordance with the university's policy on student records. Serious shortcomings in academic progress may indicate the necessity for the student to withdraw from the university or be dismissed.

VII. Academic Probation
A student who has less than a 2.0 cumulative grade point average at the end of any academic semester is on academic probation. A student placed on academic probation by the academic dean will be required to take a reduced course load during the time of probation.

After consultation with the academic dean and the dean of students, the student may be prohibited from extracurricular activities, and may be subject to any other restriction imposed by the individual school.

VIII Dismissal

An undergraduate student is no longer in good academic standing, and therefore subject to dismissal by the dean of a school, who:

1. Receives a failing grade (F) in three or more credit-bearing courses undertaken in a semester.

(Reversion of an incomplete grade (I) to an F shall be included in the total number of failures

for the semester in which the I was given, with possible dismissal effective at the close of the

current semester.) or

2. At the end of any academic year has a cumulative average of less than 1.5; or

3. Fails to satisfy any additional requirements that may be imposed by individual schools; or

4. Fails to gain acceptance into a program of concentration or specialized studies following a

fourth semester of full-time college work; special exception may be made for students who

change concentrations in their sophomore year.

The university reserves the right to review the record of a student at any time for the purpose of determining whether a student meets the standards necessary for graduation. If, in the opinion of the university, this review reveals serious shortcomings, the student may be dismissed.

Academic dismissal is made by the dean of a school. Please consult the individual school for additional regulations.

IX. Incomplete Grades

The provisional grade of I (incomplete) may be given only to a student who has not completed the requirements of a course for legitimate reasons, provided the work thus far completed in the course is of passing quality. The grade of I may not be given to one who has simply failed to meet the academic requirements of the course on time. An instructor must have the permission of the dean to give a grade of I.

Incomplete grades must be removed before the midsemester of the succeeding term whether or not the student continues in residence. If the incomplete is not removed by the midsemester, the incomplete will be recorded as a grade of F (failure).

Under extraordinary circumstances, but before the date of the midsemester following the reported incomplete, a student may petition the instructor of the course and the academic dean of the school in which the student is enrolled for an extension of the period normally allowed for removal of the incomplete.

X. Change of Grade

A grade assigned for work in a course is not subject to change except (a) in the case of a specific error, which may be corrected upon the request of the teacher of the course, in writing, to the dean not later than one month after the beginning of the succeeding semester, or (b) in the case of a successful challenge to a failing grade (F) after action in accordance with the established university procedures outlined in the Appeal of Failing Grades Policy. A successfully challenged grade of F is changed to pass (P), and credit is given for the work in question; no other grade may be assigned. All changes in transcript information must be requested and approved by the end of the semester following registration and grading of a particular course.

XI. Academic Integrity
The university adopted a new policy on academic dishonesty in June 2006. The full policy is available here: academic dishonesty.

XII. Withdrawal from the University

A student who wishes to withdraw from the university must:

1. notify the adviser or department chair (all students) and complete the Registration

Change Form available in the school or department office;

2. use Cardinal Students to drop or withdraw from all courses;

3. report to the Office of the Dean of Students, Suite 353, Edward J. Pryzbyla University


4. report to Housing Services, 106 St. Bonaventure Hall (campus residents only);

5. report to the Office of the Academic Dean (all students);

6. submit the Registration Change Form to the Office of the Registrar, 10 McMahon Hall;

7. report to the Department of Public Safety, 120 Leahy Hall, to surrender CUA photo-

identification card (required of all students);

8. report to the Office of Financial Aid;

9. report to the Office of Student Accounts, Leahy Hall (those who expect a refund and wish

to request immediate payment).

If a student who has withdrawn from the university without receiving a degree applies for readmittance to a degree program, no credits earned by the student more than seven years before the time of readmittance will be applied toward a degree unless they have been evaluated and approved by the school to which the student is applying.

Please note the refund schedule printed under Fees and Expenses. Withdrawal is not official until these procedures have been complied with in full. Students who fail to withdraw officially are assigned a grade of failure (F) in each course in which they remain registered.